The Virginia Lions Hearing Aid Bank Foundation
The Virginia Lions Hearing Aid Bank (HAB) Foundation is a Virginia chartered non-profit, tax exempt foundation organized under the provisions of Section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. We help those in our service area who need but cannot afford a hearing aid get a hearing aid.
Our Service Area
- We Serve Lions District 24-L, which consists of the Virginia Counties of Albemarle, Alleghany, Arlington, Augusta, Bath, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Frederick, Greene, Highland, King George, Loudoun, Louisa, Madison, Nelson, Orange, Page, Prince William, Rappahannock, Rockbridge, Rockingham, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Warren, and Westmoreland, and the Independent Cities of Alexandria, Buena Vista, Charlottesville, Covington, Fairfax City, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Harrisonburg, Lexington, Manassas, Manassas Park, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Winchester.
- If the person needing help lives outside our service area, they should contact their local Lions Club to learn about available resources in that area.
We Collect and Recycle Used Hearing Aids
- District 24-L Lions Clubs collect and recycle used hearing aids in conjunction with their ongoing efforts to collect and recycle used eyeglasses.
- Used hearing aids can be sent to the HAB Foundation Committee Chair (see address below), or to the Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center, 601 S. Carlin Springs Road, Arlington, VA 22204-1044. Donations will be acknowledged upon request for tax or other purposes.
- Used behind-the-ear style hearing aids are reconditioned and issued to hearing impaired persons referred to one of our cooperating hearing aid centers.
Lions Affordable Hearing Aid Program
- Lions Clubs International Foundation made a substantial grant to develop and bring to market an affordable hearing aid. The HAB Foundation was one of the first organizations to take advantage of the new affordable hearing aids as a part of our program in Northern Virginia.
- Where appropriate, we will use a new Lions affordable hearing aid for needy individuals, instead of using a reconditioned hearing aid. Reconditioned hearing aids will continue to be used where they are appropriate.
- The Lions affordable hearing aid is a state-of-the-art, digitally programmable behind-the-ear hearing aid.
Club Information - Programs Available
The District 24-L HAB Foundation Committee Chair or the Foundation officers are available upon request to present informational programs. Contact Lion Mike McLaughlin, District 24-L HAB Foundation Committee Chair, at 11260 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 300, Reston, VA 20190, telephone 703.471.6150 (work) or 703.280.0403 (home), or via email at email@example.com.
How We Can Help the Hearing Impaired Obtain Hearing Aids
- The fastest way to get our help is by contacting your local Department of Social Services or similar agency, and ask them to refer you to the Lions HAB or to your local Lions Club.
- We normally ask the individual receiving a hearing aid through our program to make a $50 co-payment when they have their appointment.
- Some Lions Clubs have a direct working relationship with social workers in the Department of Human Services in their area and have the resources to provide the requested assistance. In these cases, the clubs work directly with the organization providing the hearing aid(s).
- In each case, the local Lions Club is involved. Some clubs donate all of the funds required, and other clubs make a donation to the HAB Foundation as they are able. Many Lions Clubs in District 24-L support the work of the HAB Foundation, despite having few if any needy individuals in their immediate service area.
- When a club is approached by an individual requesting financial assistance the club should refer the person to the office in the Department of Human Services that handles hearing aid requests for the Lions clubs in its area. If the office does not have a Lions Club Hearing Aid Request Form, the HAB Foundation Chair will provide a copy.
Hearing Aid Assistance -- Sources
- The hearing aids provided by HAB Foundation are through one of our cooperating hearing aid centers, which include
- Arlington ENT Associates
- Arlington Hearing Center
- Audiology Offices, LLC, Westmoreland
- Cosmetic Hearing Solutions, Annandale
- Doctors Hearing Service, Springfield
- Hearing Health Care Center of Manassas
- Manassas Hearing Center
- Professional Hearing Aid Service, Reston
- The Hearing Aid Place, Fredericksburg
- Wagner Hearing Aid Centers, Culpeper and Harrisonburg
- The University of Virginia, Division of Audiology, Charlottesville, VA, provides hearing assistance for indigent individuals. A nominal fee is charged for Lions Club sponsored individuals, which covers the cost of a new behind-the-ear style hearing aid, warranty, the ear mold, and follow-up fitting. The service is supported by the Virginia Lions Hearing Foundation and Research Center, Incorporated, Box 800477, University of Virginia Health Services Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, at telephone numbers 434-296-LION (5466) or 800-251-3627, Extension 4-9805.
Send contributions for the HAB Foundation directly to the District 24-L HAB Foundation Committee Chair (address below). Checks should be made payable to the "Virginia Lions Hearing Aid Bank (24-L)" or "HAB Foundation (24-L)".
Lion Mike McLaughlin
The foundation has been organized under the provisions of Section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. As such, it may receive and accept money and/or property as a tax-exempt donation. For further information, contact
District 24-A HAB Foundation Committee Chair
11260 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 300
Reston, VA 20190